6 Tips For Better Price Tags

12:06 PM


1. Make sure all of your items have price tags.  I know we are all busy and there are times when we are in a hurry and forget to price something. Tags may also get torn off during the shuffle of moving things around. When you stop by your booth plan to spend a few extra minutes scanning over inventory. 

2. Make sure your price tags are legible. You always want to make sure your tags are legible. If the staff is busy they may not have time to call you. It's unfair to them as well as customers that are waiting in line. I think hand written tags are very personal and I love seeing pretty cursive handwriting. If you are like me and have chicken scratch you could always print your tags. If printing is not an option for you, use rubber stamps for the price. I've seen tags where dealers write in the description info but use rubber stamps for the price. Rubber stamps are so inexpensive and you can them at any hobby store. 

3. Be very specific with your item descriptions. The more descriptive your item is the less chance for tag switching. For instance, if you have a yellow, McCoy planter, don't just put "yellow ceramic planter" Be sure to put the maker, the color and the shape etc. 


4. Give some item history on your price tag. Most people love to know the history. I'm not saying you have to do this for every item. But for those special pieces try to include the history. If that cute fence gate came off a 100-year-old cottage, be sure to include info on your tag. The next time you are picking be sure to ask questions when applicable. Let your price tag tell a story. 

5. Place a layaway tag next to your price tag. This next idea is great and I have only seen it done at  The Queen of Hearts Antiques and Interiors  If your store/Mall allows layaway then place a reminder tag on items that are applicable. A lot of customers may not know or maybe they forget this is an option. Seeing a tag might just be the nudge they need to purchase one of your items. 


6. Have a cute price tag. I'm hanging my head in shame on this tip. I'm guilty of having plain, boring tags and every time I see a cute price tag -- I always say I'm going to step up my game. I need to practice what I preach because I'm a sucker for cute packaging. I have bought things in the past because it had a cute tag or ribbon or a little something extra. 

How cute are these next tags? I once had a dealer tell me (not this dealer) that she only uses large tags. I asked her  why and she said she had found over the course of her thirty plus years of selling it gets the customer's attention. Her logic was if they see a nice piece they may assume it's too pricey and not look at the tag. But if it is a large tag in their face, then they see that it is an affordable item and I just made a sale. The other reason she uses large tags is to discourage theft on smaller items. 


We have done posts on tags before so we won't go into depth here. If you are new or if you happened to miss those posts you can read them here. You will also find links to where we have shared free tag templates that you can download and print from home. 

The Skinny on Price Tags       
Creating Your Own Price Tags



You Might Also Like

0 comments