Great Selling Smalls that Cost $5 or Less

7:48 PM

Happy Friday friends! The weekend is here and that means it's time to go junkin. I will be attending a memorial service for a family member tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be great so I hope all of you are able to get out and enjoy it. 

Speaking of junkin...I was in Alabama this week, and met a new dealer. As we shared some booth talk, she explained she was new to the business. She opened her booth April 1st of this month. She was telling me she had already cleared over $600 in just three weeks. She said she mainly did that by selling smalls that were $3-$5. 

It really got me to thinking about smalls for my booth too. So I posted a thread on Facebook last night and asked our readers to share their most popular items that were $5 or less. We got some terrific feedback. Thanks to all of you that commented and shared photos. We are sharing some of your pics today, but saving some of them for future posts.  


Nolan from Twindig Vintage said he has a bowl of loose scrabble tiles and holders in his booth. He charges .25 cents per tile and $1.00 for the holder. Nolan says: We include little paper bags with our vendor number on labels where they can fill in ____# of tiles x .25 = $_____.



Liz Humphries says: vintage hankies, silverplated flatware, paperweights, funky refrigerator magnets, wine bottle corks, bags of marbles, horseshoes, comic books, cookie cutters, bottle openers, fishing lures and pill boxes are her best selling smalls. I love how she has them packaged. 

Sandra Lucas says she does really well with reader digest books. She usually picks them up for .50 cents and resells them for $5. I like how she has them staged, showing the customer how they can use them in their own home. 




Janel Yoder says: All my cheapest things are marked "Mix and Match Pricing. $3 each or 2 for $5." I sell a lot of vintage kid's books, and little Made in Japan knickknacks, as well as handcrafted items like mini polymer clay houses. I rarely sell a single $3 item. Everyone looks for a second one to save the dollar.

Ruth Battam McNeil has her sewing notions packaged. Are these not the sweetest? I don't sew, but I would buy these. I am such a sucker for cute packaging. 




Tamara Bronaugh says: I sell a ton of record albums @ $3 each. Hundreds of dollars every month! Also, Nature items like bird nests, small hornet's nests, tiny eggs, etc. Vintage children's books fly off the shelves at $5 each. Anything rusty and "farmy" sells here, especially if you stage them with other items, such as old rusty toolboxes with old books in them, or rusty kitchen grater with greenery, etc. It gives the customer ideas of how to re-purpose those items at home. ~ Oddica at Bryants Antique Mall.

Lydia Shaulis: says: I love to sell vintage children's books, candle holders (with new yummy-smelling candles in them), unique kitchen utensils, small toys, office supplies (a crummy seller, honestly, but I still buy them since they're so cheap + I personally just like them and how they look in the booth) recipe booklets and maps, antique stamps in tiny frames, postcards, greeting cards, Readers Digest condensed novels and other vintage books. I'm a sucker for paper products.



Denise Menezes Williams says: I own a business called "Soul Pickers" and my motto has always been that "smalls make the world go round." Smalls sell quickly if you pick smart and price to sell quickly--yet still make money! I am a treasure hunter of many things, but smalls are my favorite. 

Matchbooks seemed to be mentioned several times. You could either fill up a pretty jar or a plastic cello bag with a cute topper for these.  

Holly Grondman says: I have paid my rent by selling many small items also. One of the first words of advice I received entering this business was having enough smaller items, so when the large ones do not sell as quickly you still are able to make money. I love to have something everyone can afford for their home. When I was first married setting up a home I was on a strict budget. Acquiring beauty for my decor was very difficult. I feel everyone should be able to have a beautiful home that they can afford to create. the little porcelain door hinge covers with plants in them are $3.00. ~ The Brown Paper Package, Grand Rapids, MI




Pic via: Jennifer Chamberlin

Vintage Sheet Music These sell well both in their original form or rolled up with a piece of twine. I have seen prices from $1 to $2.50 per roll.  


Troy Rash says: Postcards, linens, silverplated flatware, soaps, votive candles, junk bags - clear bags of broken costume jewelry etc., mismatched china and whatever else I can find.

Old Books covered with wallpaper or scrapbooking paper are a cheap way to decorate and add a pop of color. 

Mason Jars are great to fill with little things like buttons, spools of thread, old clothespins, marbles etc. Here are few pretty samples I found on Etsy. 


Little Peanut Gallery via Etsy


I have a bunch of these little glass spice jars. I have been saving them for something special. So this next photo inspires me to fill them up with buttons or other little treasures. 


Birkshire Shop Girl via Etsy

Here is another cute idea for scrabble tiles. 
The Retro Bee Hive via Etsy



I found these vintage style milk bottles from the Dollar Tree. I painted them white, shabbied them up a bit and added a spring of green. These sold for $5 each. 




Okay, friends, I hope you have enjoyed this post. I have to finish writing the Eulogy. Good night and sweet junkin dreams! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments