Store Management & Staff Appreciation

4:18 PM

I'm on a roll today friends. Hold on to your britches...Mama is on the warpath. I was in a store and overheard a dealer berating the cashier. I'm not sure if this was the manager or just an employee. I did overhear bits and pieces of the conversation. The dealer was obviously upset. The cashier said she would let the owner know. It was an unfortunate incident and while I can sympathize with the dealer, I cannot condone her attitude. She was very condescending, talking loudly and using a disgusting amount of  profanity. I know the dealer was mad, but that was no way to handle the situation. Not only did it make the dealer look bad, but it also made the shop look bad too. In fact, it caused one man to turn and walk right back out the door.

Dealers let me tell you something... and most of you already know this but... if you are unhappy with something about your booth screaming and acting like one the Real Houses Wives of Atlanta is not going to get you anywhere but on the S*%# list of management. Discuss your problems calmly and in private. I know we all have a bad day from time to time, but taking it out on a member of staff is unfair. They are not the enemy. They are working hard for you. They are the eyes and ears when you are not in your booth. They are the ones making a suggestion when a customer comes in looking for a particular item. "Oh yes, Booth Crush has a bistro set in her booth. Let me show you"
I don't think store managers and staff get enough respect.

Fortunately I have mostly been in places where where the staff looks out for their dealers. As a courtesy, if something large sells, a staff member would call to say it sold. I was very appreciative when this happened. That meant I could get a replacement in sooner than having to discover a bare spot in my booth the next time I visited. A lot of stores will also fluff up your booth (when time allows) and fill in the blank spot when something big sells so it doesn't look like a bomb went off in your booth. Some stores have extra staff walking the aisles to help customers and deter shoplifting.

Managers and staff already have to deal with grouchy and angry customers they shouldn't have to deal with angry dealers too. Just remember they do a lot for us like making sure

restrooms are well supplied and clean 
wrapping customer purchases 
helping customers get their items to their cars
calling the dealers when the customer wants to make an offer
cleaning up spills and accidents in the store
making sure the coffee pot is full or the the snack area is replenished
helping dealers load and unload merchandise

I know I left a lot of other tasks off the list, but you get the picture. I can assure you if you make frenemies with the staff, you are only hurting yourself. So the next time you visit the store show the staff some appreciation. Thank them for all they do. Let them know you care. Bring in pizza or donuts one day to surprise them. Send a thank you card. Feeling valued and appreciated can go a long way.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm stepping off my soap box now. Enjoy the rest of your night.

You Might Also Like

0 comments